Thursday, February 28, 2013

My Little Purim Sock Monkey

Sunday was Purim, the day we celebrate the Jews' successful escape from Haman and the people of Persia. You can read the entire story here. We celebrate by reading Megillat Esther, the story of Esther, giving money to charity, sending food gift baskets to friends and family and have a festive meal. There is a custom to dress up because the story of Purim is based on Queen Esther not showing her true self so we don't show our true self. I enjoy matching my food gifts to our costumes. This year's theme was based on a costume that Buddy was given for his 1st birthday: a sock monkey.

Our little sock monkey with his grogger (noise maker) in his hand.

My coordinating gift baskets had sock monkey cake pops, monkey bread and a banana.If only I had time to make costumes for me and The Hubs, Raggedy Ann and Andy would have made great additions!

For our meal, a friend came in from Virginia with her adorable 8 month old son and her husband. We have a mutual friend in town who has a nearly 2.5 year old daughter and new son. This holiday is filled with so much spirit and fun and excitement. I am looking forward to Buddy getting older and really being a part of the festivities.

 Do you know how hard it is to get 2 kids to look at the camera at the same time and smile and wear their whole costume? It's basically impossible. Here is Buddy with Mr. M as R2D2. 

Now I have a year to think about the theme for next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment