Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Continued Success on the Potty!

I am happy to be able to say that Buddy has used the potty on 4 out of the last 5 days! I'm home with Buddy for a few hours Saturday morning before we go anywhere. I tried getting him to sit on the potty every 45 minutes. I started to ask if he needed to go ("No!") and keep the potty close. He was playing, put down the toy, walked over to me and the potty and started to pee! Not quite close enough to make it into the potty, but I moved it over so the urine went into the potty seat. We cheered, Buddy seemed pretty excited, this time. Maybe 30 minutes later Buddy stopped and gave that look. Every parent knows that look. So I grabbed him and tried to get him to sit. He wouldn't, but I was able to cradle him leaning backwards over the potty. He used to hate this and struggle and wriggle until I let go and I either held the pot under him or he pooped on the floor. But this time he leaned backward and used the potty. He didn't seem to care when I cheered. I guess he was too busy the rest of the day to stop and use the potty, despite all our efforts to get him to sit.

Sunday morning I started out the same way. Getting the idea of using the potty in his head, just repeating, "Do you need to use the potty? It looks like you do. Please sit on the potty." I guess he couldn't hold it any more so when I put the potty in front of him, he peed in it! Again, my cheering didn't phase him. He just looked at it, did a quick finger point said, "pssss!!!" then pointed to the big potty where we dump the urine and went on playing. Again, the rest of the day he wanted nothing to do with the potty.

Monday morning we're trying to get ready to go to school and he sits down on the potty to read several books. Some of them more than once. And he pees! Yay! My cheers lead to a quick cheer for himself and off to play again. At school he sat on the potty for 15 minutes in the morning singing with his teacher. Nothing. 5 minutes after they got back to the classroom he peed in his pants. Oh well. At least he sat on the potty.

Tuesday Buddy again sat on the potty for long stretches at a time, again he decided to wait 10 or so minutes once back in the classroom to pee. This time, he made puddles on the floor. Oops.

Today Buddy sat on the potty for 15 minutes at a time. I guess he loves hearing his teachers sing! Then this afternoon he peed on the potty for the new teacher!

I'm so proud of my little man. He's trying so hard and all of his teachers are being so patient. I'm glad we're continuing on this track. Hopefully some day soon he'll get it that he should go on the potty all the time and will have more successes. But for now, I'm still reminding myself I'd rather deal with the extra laundry than the diaper rash.

No comments:

Post a Comment