Friday, May 10, 2013

The Non-Vegan Cravings!

My time as a vegan is coming to an end in less than a week. I've tried some new things; some we like, some we don't. (Nutritional yeast is not welcome in our house.) Overall, it hasn't been so bad. I think more about what I am eating and try harder to make that a vegetable or fruit.

Taco night. Black beans, corn, lettuce, avocado, tomato, onion, red pepper.
What do you put on your tacos?

But there are some things that I can't wait to eat again! The holiday of Shavuot, when the Jews received the Torah at Mt. Sinai, starts Tuesday night. That's when I'll go back to eating animal products. We commemorate the holiday by eating dairy, so from Tuesday dinner through Thursday dinner, a lot of dairy will be consumed. Who knows what this will do to my 42 day dairy-free system. Thankfully, we are having guests over for lunch Thursday, one of whom is allergic to dairy and soy (ok, so not thankfully for her because cheese is delicious, but her dietary needs will help us from consuming copious amounts of it). We're also eating out Wednesday for lunch where there will be another guest who is dairy-free.

So what do I miss most? I miss creamy ice cream. Sorbet is good, not that I've had any in months, but it's just not creamy like all natural milk-filled ice cream. Yum! The chocolate kind. And cheese. I miss cheese. It enhances the taste of pretty much everything. I love it on my (pareve) spaghetti and tomato-based sauce. I love it on taco night (which has become pretty much every Thursday). I love it on my grilled cheese and tomato. What's not to love about the stuff? Except the sodium and fat content. I miss being able to go to any store to pick up chocolate, because pareve chocolate chips are not found every where and certainly not at a good price. And they just don't melt in your mouth like the dark chocolate Nestle chips.

What I am hoping to stay away from are the store-bought cookies, flavored chips, granola bars and other snack food The Hubs likes to consume. To his credit, he has been taking most of those straight to work so they aren't in the house. I don't even really like most of them, but they're there and they are easy to grab and go. Being vegan for these past several weeks has proved to me that I can find other sources of snack food that don't include those and I won't starve. Ok, so sometimes I went hungry because I was too lazy to cut up some vegetables, but better to skip a snack than eat that junk, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment